3 April 2007 – Annual Parish Meeting

MINUTES of the ANNUAL PARISH MEETING

… held at the LINTON VILLAGE HALL on Tuesday 3RD APRIL 2007 commencing at 7.30pm

 

PRESENT

 

County and Borough Councillors

Parish Councillors

24  Residents of the Village

 

M.D.Stevens, Parish Clerk

 

  1. a)    WELCOME and INTRODUCTIONS

 

The Chairman of the Parish Councillor C. Baxter  welcomed everybody and formally opened the meeting. He expressed a particular warm welcome to County, Borough and Parish Councillors together with the Chairman of the Village Hall Management Committee, the Tree Warden and the Footpaths Officer.

 

  1. b)    APOLOGIES

 

Apologies were received from Borough Councillors J.Williams and A.Brindle together with Mrs.Mckenzie. There were no other apologies

 

 

  1. c)     MINUTES of the MEETING held on 4th April 2006

 

On a proposition from Mr.Levick, seconded by Cllr.Harrison it was agreed that the Minutes of the meeting held on 4th April 2006, circulated prior to the meeting, should be taken as read.

 

The Chairman signed the Minutes as a true record of the meeting.

 

 

  1. d)     MATTERS ARISING from the MINUTES and REPORT by the CHAIRMAN if the PARISH COUNCIL

 

The Chairman asked if there were any Matters arising from the Minutes that were not covered elsewhere on the Agenda

 

The Clerk reported that there were no matters which could not be dealt with elsewhere on the Agenda

 

 

Prior to taking the next Agenda Items the Chairman formally introduced the Parish Councillors, Borough Councillors and County Councillor to the meeting

 

The Chairman presented his Annual Report a copy of which is attached to these  Minutes together with the Accounts of the Parish Council for the year ended 31st March 2006

 

  1. e)     REPORT by the CHAIRMAN of the LINTON VILLAGE HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

The Chairman invited the Chairman of the Village Hall Management Committee to present his Report a copy of which is attached to these Minutes.

 

Cllr Baxter thanked Mr.T.Figgins for his Report and for the continued excellent work undertaken by his Management Committee

 

f)    REPORT on the NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH  SCHEME

 

In the absence of a Neighbourhood Watch Co-Ordinator  the Chairman invited Cllr Whitmarsh to present a Report to the meeting a copy of which is attached to these  Minutes.

 

The Chairman thanked Cllr. Whitmarsh for ‘stepping into the breach’ and keeping his eye on the scheme until another co-ordinator could be found.

 

g)    REPORT by the ALLOTMENTS MANAGER

 

Cllr Mrs J. Sawyer was invited by the Chairman to present her Report on the Allotments, a copy of which is attached to these Minutes.

 

The Chairman thanked Cllr Mrs.Sawyer and her “team “for the considerable amount of work they had undertaken to improve the Allotment

          

h)  REPORT by the VILLAGE TREE WARDEN and FOOTPATHS OFFICER

 

The Chairman invited Mr.David Martin to present his two Reports, copies of which are attached to these Minutes.

 

The Chairman again thanked Mr.Martin for taking on the two roles and for his continued enthusiasm and vigilance in discharging the duties of both appointments

 

i) ANY QUESTIONS ?

 

 The Chairman invited questions to the various representatives

         i) Footpaths Officer and Tree Warden

A question was asked about the trees that had been cut down in Wheelers Lane, and the vandalism to another mature tree. Mr Martin advised the meeting that he had been informed about the cutting down of the trees and after much research, discovered  that the had been removed by the Borough Council. It was far from clear why they had been removed or on what authority. This clearly was not a satisfactory situation and the MBC had been asked to notify the Parish in future if they were proposing to remove any trees.

The vandalised mature tree was a cause for concern and was being monitored by the MBC. If it died it would be felled and a new tree planted. Given that there was a 50% chance that it would die the Chairman suggested that if it was ‘pollarded’ its chances of survival might increase.

Attention was drawn to the trees planted by the PC last year and concern was

expressed that some  might  not have survived the hot summer and the wet winter. Mr Martin agreed to monitor the situation . The Chairman indicating that any dead trees would be replaced by the PC.

 

ii) Allotments         

There were no questions to the Allotments Manager

 

iii) Neighbourhood Watch     

There were no comments

 

iv) LVHMC        

There were no comments

 

v)  GENERAL COMMENTS

 

The Chairman invited general comments.  Concern was expressed about the volume of traffic, and in particular large vehicles, using lanes that were clearly unsuitable for them (eg Bonfleur Lane). This was becoming an increasing danger  to other motorists, let alone the damage that was being done to the lanes.

         

The new road markings on the A229 and the marking of the Bus Stops were welcomed, as was the possibility of extending the 30mph limit from the Linton

crossroads to Redwall Lane. The new 30mph signs were acknowledged, but

it was not clear if they were making any difference to the speed of traffic. A question was raised concerning the enforcement of the 30mph speed limits.  Comment was also made on the increase in traffic on the minor roads and the problems caused by drivers, particularly HGV’s drivers, relying on their Satellite Navigation Systems, which were directing them onto unsuitable roads.

 

The condition of the road surfaces and the increasing number of potholes was

identified. The minor roads were a serious cause for concern as they were becoming dangerous (eg Vanity Lane).

 

Attention was drawn to the cars that regularly parked at the top of Wheeler’s Lane, causing a considerable danger to traffic entering the lane. Any parking restrictions were being ignored.

 

Comment was made about the dangers being caused by the new Traffic Calming measures on Heath Road.  In response the Chairman gave a more detailed resume of the meeting with Cty Cllr.Ferrin during which most of the above issues had been raised. He was encouraged however by the comments from Cllr. Ferrin who was clearly trying to sort out a system which was not working. The next few months should see some improvement. The issues raised had been noted and, where practical , would be followed up  (eg Parking at the top of Vanity Lane)

 

The Clerk outlined the current problems on the Car Park and gave details on the recent vandalism. The Police had been informed and had indicated that they would only respond if a complaint was made as they were now in no position to monitor the Car Park at regular intervals. The CCTV Camera had been removed as it had been severely damaged. Local residents were unsure about reporting the problems on the Car Park for fear of reprisals. In the general discussion that followed it was suggested that the design of the Car

Park should be looked at to make it less of a ‘circuit’ and that it should be monitored regularly. The Clerk agreed to follow up this suggestion with the MBC as technically it was their Car Park and reminded residents when parking on the Car Park to make sure that their vehicle was locked and to take care. He hope that the new CCTV system when installed later in the year would help as a deterrent.

 

There were no further comments or questions.

 

k) ANY OTHER BUSINESS NOT REQUIRING NOTICE

The Clerk reminded the meeting of the need to use the FREIGHTER SERVICE when it visited the Village. The times and dates were posted in all three of the Village Notice Boards. It was important that full use be made of this facility otherwise it would be lost.

         

It was pointed out that the verge where the Freighter parks, at the bottom of Cornwallis Avenue had recently been re landscaped. It was likely that this area would get damaged the next time the Freighter visited. Would it be possible to put down some matting to protect the area? Clerk agreed to investigate.

 

Cllr Mrs J,Sawyer advised the meeting that there was to be SPEEDWATCH

Training in the Village Hall on SATURDAY 28th April 2007 between 10am and 12 noon. Volunteers were still required. Anybody interested should contact  Dr.Coutts.

 

        

Mr.Levick asked that a ‘Vote of thanks’ be recorded for the way the Chairman had conducted the meeting. This was agreed unanimously.

 

There being no further business that Chairman thanked those present for their attendance and for their contributions to the meeting; he also  thanked Cllr Mrs Sawyer and Mr.David Sawyer for arranging the light refreshments which would be available on the  closure of the meeting, The meeting was then formally closed at 8.43pm.